Custom-Made Clothing: Hong Kong’s Best Tailors to Personalise Your Wardrobe
If you can’t find what you want, have it made
Today’s obsession with fast fashion has created a world where we wear what we want right now until we found the next hot piece and then move on. Of course, we all enjoy being on trend and having that “it item,” but if you’re looking for longevity and one-of-a-kind pieces then perhaps it’s time to delve into the world of custom tailoring. And because we believe in helping each other out, we’ve created a list of some of Hong Kong’s most notable players in the game. There are tons of hole-in-the-wall ‘tailors’ that are there to assist in alterations and fixing (which can lend a hand when your old clothes just need a new lease on life). But if you’re looking to truly invest in bespoke garments that will last a lifetime, check out our list of the city’s best and most established tailors in the 852.
Before embarking on this new venture, here are some general tips for your trip to the tailor:
- Have one yard more fabric than you think you need if you’re supplying your own
- Avoid wearing heavy or baggy clothing to fittings
- Be realistic with your expectations (know the difference between what something looks like on a model’s body versus your own proportions)
- Make sure to wear the underwear you would wear with that particular piece to ensure that it fits and looks right
- Wear the shoes you would wear with that garment so that your length measurements are accurate
- Be honest during fittings! It is much harder to change later on once garments have been stitched together and completed
- Give yourself time for two or three fittings
- Know what you want and stand by it, but be open to expert advice
It might seem crazy in the world of fashion, but in the world of custom tailoring, Hong Kong has more to offer for men than women. We try to highlight both options in this guide.
Featured image sourced via Pinterest.
All further images sourced via respective company websites or Facebook pages.