Discover the best of what lesser-known Australian cities Adelaide, Brisbane and Darwin have to offer…
While we know the first time we step on a plane will be for a long-awaited reunion with family and friends, we can’t help but daydream of vacations to far away lands. When we do get back to travelling for leisure, it will be for BIG adventures and not quick city escapes. For something off the beaten path, we’re looking to the land Down Under. With expansive wineries, hidden waterpools and World-Heritage listed nature parks to explore, we think Australia is the perfect destination for adventuring away from the crowds.
Part of the fun of travel is researching things to do, so while we may not be able to set off any time soon, it’s never too early to start planning your next big trip. With so much ground to cover, we thought we’d help narrow your options down to three Australian cities that we think make the perfect itinerary. With something for the most adventurous nature lovers, food and wine connoisseurs and adrenaline junkies, read on to find out how we’d make the most of our time in Adelaide, Darwin and Brisbane.
Top Things To Do In Adelaide
Quickly becoming the country’s lifestyle capital, Adelaide boasts a burgeoning small bar scene and a festival calendar to rival that of any other city. Beyond the city centre, you’ll find boundless natural beauty, whether you choose to visit a nearby winery or meet some of the country’s wild native animals.
- Go wine tasting: South Australia is home to some of the best wineries in the country and a number of them are just a short drive away from Adelaide. With a backdrop of rolling hills, we couldn’t think of a better setting for a sundowner. Barossa Valley, known for producing exceptional vintages and bold, earthy shiraz, is home to more than 170 wineries. Best of all, it’s only a one-hour drive north-east of the city!
- Meet some native wildlife: A nature-lover’s paradise, Kangaroo Island is home to some magnificent geological wonders and a range of wild native animals. Think koalas, sea lions, seals and, as the name suggests, kangaroos! It’s a 30-minute plane ride from the city, but we assure you, it’s worth the trip!
Top Things To Do In Darwin
If you love exploring the great outdoors, the Northern Territory capital is the place for you. Darwin and the Top End offer plenty of opportunities to be adventurous and try something new.
- Explore natural wonders: Dive into hidden waterholes and lagoons, chase double waterfalls, explore World Heritage-listed natural parks and more. The options for adventurers around Darwin and Australia’s Top End are endless.
- Sample local delicacies: We advise foodies to plan their trip around the famous Mindil Beach Sunset Market, which usually takes place between the months of May and October. Darwin is a melting pot of cultures and the beachside market sees the congregation of over 200 unique stalls, including lines of food stalls offering incredible local delicacies (think fresh barramundi, kangaroo and crocodile!) as well as international bites.
Top Things To Do In Brisbane
Brisbane just announced that it will have the honour of hosting the 2023 Olympics, so why not beat the crowds and be among the first to explore the sporty side of Australia’s Sunshine State.
- Kayak the Brisbane River: Hire a kayak and paddle down the Brisbane River to find out why it’s is called the “River City”. You can also join a guided tour of the sunken ships and impressive cliffs down stream.
- Climb the Story Bridge: Looking to get your adrenaline pumping even more? Scale one of Brisbane’s most iconic structures and marvel at the panoramic views of the city from the top of the Story Bridge. You’ll be sure to feel on top of the world.
Want Even More Ideas For Your Next Trip? Watch The Videos Below…
So what’s it for you? Wine tasting in Adelaide, kayaking in Brisbane or chasing waterfalls in the Top End? No matter what takes your fancy, rest assured you can’t go wrong with any of these Australian cities. And if you have time, you can always explore another one!