Not sure where to start when it comes to styling your at home bar? We’ve found three looks that you can easily recreate.
It’s no secret that Hong Kong likes a drink. The city is full of rooftop bars, happy hour deals and hidden spots, so there’s always a cocktail to be had, no matter what day of the week it is. But sometimes, we just want to stay home and enjoy our own space, so an interior trend we’re loving is the at home bar cart. Although the size of our Hong Kong homes can be restrictive for some interiors trends, this is one that we can’t get enough of (and just about have space for!). A quick scroll through Instagram will give all the inspo you need for how to style your very own drinks trolley, but we’ve rounded up a few of our favourite looks for you to recreate at home, and also some basic tips on how to get started.
Read more: Wine, Beer And Spirits Delivery in Hong Kong
- When stocking your bar, make sure to have a good quality vodka, gin and whiskey in your line-up, as these are the spirits used most in cocktails (and who can say no to a G&T?).
- Ditch the plastic. Either purchase some metal straws to re-use, or buy an array of paper straws to fit your theme.
- Decorative touches can go a long way to up your bar cart game. This could be anything from flowers and ornaments, to photographs, posters and even fairy lights. Remember fun straws, stirrers or other drinks accessories can also be put on display to add interest.
- Glasses don’t just have to be practical. A vital part of a bar cart is the glasses, but an interesting glass can be the finishing touch you’ve been looking for. From different shapes and styles, to colourful glassware, don’t be afraid to think outside the box.
- Short on space? If you can’t quite squeeze in a drinks trolley, but still want the look and feel of an at home bar, try using a decorative tray to keep your cocktail essentials together on top of a cabinet, dresser or side table.
- Don’t underestimate the power of books. Not only do books look great, but having a decent stash of cocktail recipes on hand is sure to be useful!
- Keep things simple. The temptation is to cram every inch of space with something, but it’ll pay off to show some restraint. Have a theme or colour scheme in mind and try to stick to it, the overall effect will be much more curated and effective as a result.
Get the look:
We’ve taken inspiration from three different bar cart looks and found the products that will help you recreate them home! Now all that’s left to do is stock the bar, invite your friends over and get mixing…
A Pop of Colour
Looking to add a splash of colour to your home? Start with this cheap and cheerful turquoise trolley from IKEA and you’ll have the perfect base for a fun and quirky bar cart. The design also comes in white, if you prefer to add your pops of colour through glasses, bottles and accessories. Make the cart your own by decorating it with this colourful pom pom garland from Party Time, or simply wrap these IKEA fairy lights around the trolley to up the ante.
We’re fans of these pink glass and gold foil Champagne flutes from Oliver Bonas, but for more everyday use, these H&M tumblers or acrylic tumblers from mirth (which come in pink and mint!) will do the trick.
When it comes to decorative, finishing touches, these rainbow stainless steel straws from Thorn & Burrow will look great displaying in a tall glass, or for quirky cocktail accessories, this Sunnylife Tropical Cocktail Kit from iDecorate has everything you need.
Every bar needs a decent bottle of gin, and Bombay Sapphire not only delivers when it comes to taste, but the blue bottle is a timeless addition to any bar cart. Once you’ve finished off the gin, we also love to keep the bottles for use as vases or stick candle holders. Another colourful (and boozy!) addition to your drinks trolley should be this Disaronno Amaretto Trussardi Edition, and what better way is there to mix up cocktails for your guests than with this blue glass cocktail shaker from Oliver Bonas?
Read more: Best Homeware Stores in Hong Kong
A gold bar cart instantly makes us think of “Mad Men”, so if you’re looking to add some retro style to your home, here’s how to get the look. This New York Barcart from iDecorate may be a little pricey, but it’s sure to add a little luxury, and has plenty of space for all of your bar essentials. We also love the art deco feel of this Luxe Round Bamboo Drinks Trolley from Oliver Bonas, for a unique twist on the look.
If you don’t have space for a full drinks trolley, this round metal tray from H&M is a great way to achieve the look in a limited space – and is budget friendly too! The tray would also work well as an addition to your cart, as a space to gather select bottles or glasses together.
These gold foil Champagne flutes from iDecorate instantly caught our eye and are perfect for the 24carat gold look, though ZARA Home also offers up this chic collection of gold rimmed wine glasses and tumblers.
For a decorative touch, and one that will come in handy when cocktails are on the cards, this Apatite Gold Cocktail Shaker from Apartment 49 will be a welcome addition to any bar, and pairs perfectly with this Gold Pineapple Cup from Oliver Bonas.
When it comes to straws, stick with the golden theme with these Gold Stainless Steel Straws from Thorn & Burrow, or opt for these Gold Striped Foil Paper Straws from Party Time. For a luxe finishing touch, (that smells great too!), we love the addition of this Sol Copper Candle from Apartment 49.
For a more simple approach to bar styling, a good place to start is with a monochrome cart. A budget friendly option is the IKEA RÅSKOG Trolley in black, but we also like the design of this Black Bar Cart from iDecorate.
Simplicity is key with this look, so a few items go a long way. The essential kit for any bar, this silver cocktail kit from ZARA Home is a must-buy. And when it comes to glasses, keep with the sophisticated theme, with this engraved glass set also from ZARA home.
Stylish, monochrome bottles are the finishing touches to this look, with the classic Hendrickʼs Gin being the perfect black & white choice. And if you’re one who likes to celebrate with a bottle of bubbly, it’s the perfect excuse to stock up on this Moet & Chandon Ice Impérial.
Featured image courtesy of iDecorate via Instagram. Image 1 courtesy of dotty.about.design via Instagram, image 2 courtesy of arseniclace via Instagram, image 3 courtesy of bealach_uige_bothy via Instagram, image 4 courtesy of drinks_and_co via Instagram, image 5 courtesy of kylie_lovesliving via Instagram