The hard neon glow calls to me from down the street… As I enter, pumping music lulls me into a trance as I wander deeper through mirrored halls and up winding stairs. Before I know it, I am led into a private room and given champagne; I collapse into a plush chair and wait for the excitement to unfold before me. Clothing hangs from every surface, with jewellery, handbags and shoes scattered about too. No, this isn’t a club scene in LKF – it’s the start to a personal shopping experience at the one, the only, TOPSHOP Hong Kong!
TOPSHOP (aka The Mothership) offers personal styling sessions for its customers to help you manage the massive 14,000 square foot store and its two floors of fashionable offerings. Here you can shop in a luxurious private environment set away from the jostling crowds and long lines – all it takes is a quick phone call or email to schedule your appointment and you are set.
There are a range of different types of appointment available, including The Miracle Worker (a complete wardrobe overhaul), The Big Wow (for that super-special event or party), The In & Out (if you’re pushed for time) or even The Spoil Me Birthday (a shopping spree birthday party for up to five people). Your shopper will ask you a few questions about your personal style, any specific needs you have and your sizing information – and the next step is simply to show up! The best part? There is ZERO obligation to buy and the service is entirely FREE!
Rach and I jumped at the chance to have the very first personal styling session at TOPSHOP on Queen’s Road Central with the lovely Cynthia. Cynthia herself looked amazing (always a good sign if you’re trusting someone with your wardrobe) and with a background at Central Saint Martins and a stint working with Mary Katrantzou, boasted sufficient style chops for us to hand over the reins!
On arriving at the upstairs private room, we were immediately offered cupcakes and champagne – always a winner! Meanwhile, our changing suite was already ready-to-go, boasting four complete outfits for each of us accessorized with bags, shoes, sunglasses and jewellery so that we could experience the full TOPSHOP look. Neither of us was shopping for a specific event so our clothing ranged from casual, to more work appropriate, to party outfits.
I was overjoyed to see a few items I had already ooohed and ahhhed over earlier hanging on my rack, ready and waiting in my size! My comfort zone is pretty large so there were sequins and prints galore, whilst Rach’s rack was a bit more conservative. Nevertheless, I loved seeing how Cynthia gently nudged her towards new styles – putting her in a print romper, then a 60’s geometric skirt and top combo… and I think she rocked both!
Rach also brought in a skirt that she had purchased the day before to get ideas for tops to pair it with. We all have those impulse buys hanging in our closet that seemed like a must at the time but have since been hanging untouched in the recesses of the wardrobe with nothing that seems to match. Thanks to TOPSHOP’s personal shopping service, here’s the chance to have a pro style what you already own… and match it with affordable pieces that you can easily say yes to!
We both agreed that there were several items we wouldn’t have normally picked out – but that we were so glad got suggested, because they turned out to be some of our favourite pieces. If you have seen a look or item that you love on the TOPSHOP website, just let them know and they will find it for you in your size, plus style it to perfection with a range of accessories! Sassy tip: wear a nude strapless bra and nude undies for the best fitting experience.
Needless to say, both Rach and I ended up buying a fair few pieces – and even better, personal shopping at TOPSHOP means you get to skip the lines at checkout too (helped along with more Kisses cupcakes and cups of Earl Grey)! Even after making our purchases, we instructed to stay and have as many cupcakes as we wanted – now this is my kind of shopping!
In case you haven’t been to the new TOPSHOP Hong Kong yet, here are a few need-to-know details:
– Most clothing comes in UK sizes 6 to 16. Shoes come in sizes EU 36 to 41.
– The store boasts the Unique and Boutique lines upstairs, plus a capsule collection of Reclaim To Wear up-cycled clothing made from discarded fabrics. Reclaim To Wear, plus a number of other dresses (like the blue sequinned number), are strictly limited edition – when they’re gone, they’re gone!
– New designs come in DAILY!
– Upstairs is home to the personal shopping suite plus TOPSHOP’s denim and shoe ranges, whilst downstairs boasts racks of TOPSHOP accessories (including jewellery, handbags and hosiery), TOPSHOP make-up and the Petite range.
– As yet, there is no sign of TOPMAN or TOPSHOP’s Tall, Maternity or Mini ranges. Although we spotted some swimwear, there is no lingerie or loungewear. Having chatted to some of the UK contingent at the opening, this is more down to lack of space than any deliberate effort to exclude things! They ARE looking for other sites in Hong Kong so keep your fingers crossed (and don’t forget, they’ll be opening a concession in LAB Concept later this year too).
– Wondering about the price mark-up? With as little as a 1% inflation from UK prices, prices are honestly pretty spot on to what you would pay via TOPSHOP’s website, which is around $500-1000 for most items.
TOPSHOP’s personal shopping service is perfect for the girl on the go who doesn’t have the time (or inclination!) to browse the massive store and wants the shopping experience to be made simple. However, it’s still super fun and getting a fresh pair of eyes on your wardrobe with some tailor-made sartorial suggestions was a great experience!
If you are shopping for a special event or just want to experiment with a new look or trend, then give TOPSHOP a call and schedule your own personal shopping session. I can’t recommend this enough and will definitely be back with more girlfriends to try even more new outfits. Watch out credit card!
To book an appointment, call 2118 5383 or email [email protected]
Topshop Asia Standard Tower, 56-65 Queen’s Road Central, Central, Hong Kong
2118 5383 www.topshop.com