We’re feeling the chill here at Sassy and craving nothing more than a hearty homely winter soup! But rather than settling for a trusty can of Campbell’s Condensed, how about making your own?
We’re partnering up with Homegrown Foods and Day Day Cook to bring you a few easy-peasy recipes that can be whipped up quickly in the comfort of your own home, and which use lots of scrummy fresh organic and seasonal ingredients that you can buy from Homegrown Foods… or try your luck at winning one of their baskets in our giveaway! Read on for the recipe for Potato & Leek Soup and all the details on how to enter!
Potato & Leek soup is creamy and packed with flavour and makes a perfect dish for winter. Originating from Scotland, potato & leek soup is also called “Cock-a-Leekie” soup; there are many different varieties of this recipe with unique ingredients such as adding fried shallots and different herbs. Our version is simple because we want to preserve and highlight the sweetness of organic vegetables. The only herb used is a tiny bit of thyme in the end as decoration.
Makes 6 bowls
4 potatoes, diced
2 leeks, thinly sliced
1 purple onion, diced
½ clove of garlic, minced
200ml of chicken broth
100ml of heavy cream
½ teaspoon of salt
1) Wash & prepare all of the vegetables as described in the ingredients.
2) In a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil on medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook until translucent & aromatic (about 3 minutes). Add the leek & potatoes. Cook until leek softens (another 3-4 minutes).
3) Transfer the cooked vegetables into a medium size pot, add the chicken broth (should be enough to cover all of the vegetables). Bring to a boil on medium high heat. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until potatoes are cooked.
4) Remove from heat and let the soup cool for 15 minutes. With a hand-held blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add the cream, mix well with a spatula. Add salt to taste.
5) Reheat the soup before serving. Decorate with some dried thyme and a drizzle of olive oil.
Want to double your chances of winning!? We have another Homegrown Foods recipe on the Sassy Mama site. Click here to enter our Sassy Mama Homegrown Foods giveaway!
Thank you to DayDayCook (www.daydaycook.com) & Homegrown Foods (www.homegrownfoods.com.hk) for this wonderful recipe.
DayDayCook is hottest new culinary website across Asia, offering step-by-step instructions and videos on how to cook Chinese, Japanese and Korean authentic recipes, and other international dishes. DayDayCook will continue to grow our library of basic culinary techniques and recipes, and become the place in Asia where cooks and people who love food can share blog references, tips, recipes, and stories about their fun food & cooking experiences!
About Homegrown Foods
As the premier supplier of locally grown sustainable clean produce, Homegrown Foods aims to educate the public through external resources and community projects. Homegrown Foods are dedicated to providing a convenient, high-quality food source and the supply of clean food in Hong Kong, straight from their farms to your table. LIKE Homegrown Foods on facebook today or FOLLOW them on twitter.
Next week, our food bloggers Michelle and Ale will be sharing some of their own recipes created using their Homegrown Foods baskets, so stay tuned!