We know health issues like cancer are often the furthest things from our minds – but they shouldn’t be. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and in recent years, breast cancer has become more prevalent in younger women, with around 20% of new cases now being diagnosed between the ages of 20-40 years old. We turned to the folks at the Cancer Fund for more on why being “breast aware” can save your life; read on to find out more…
It is no longer safe to believe that breast cancer cannot happen to you. Being familiar with your family history and making positive lifestyle choices are two very important factors when considering your health. By being breast aware, you are preparing yourself with the tools necessary for healthy living and early detection, which in turn could save your life.
Here’s why you’re never too young to be breast aware:
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women of all ages.
- Breast cancer has the potential to be far more aggressive in younger patients, making early detection even more important.
- Approximately 8 women in Hong Kong are diagnosed with breast cancer every day. Knowing your body and being aware of changes can make it easier for you to identify any problems.
Sooooooo… Unhook your bra and check regularly! Don’t wait for the alarm!
Women of all ages should be familiar with the normal look and feel of their breasts. If you notice any of the following changes, please see your doctor immediately (and remember, it’s better to be safe than sorry!):
- A lump, lumpiness or thickening.
- Changes in the skin of a breast, such as puckering, dimpling or a rash
- Persistent or unusual pain
- A change in the shape or size of a breast
- Discharge from a nipple, a nipple rash or a change in its shape
Remember… early detection saves lives!
SASSY GIVEAWAY: We’ve got a special pink-themed giveaway to spotlight Breast Cancer Awareness Month – and not only do you get the chance to bag some swag from the likes of Tory Burch, KOTUR, Feelgood Factor and SIGNATURE French Wines, but all of our incredibly generous prize sponsors will be donating $1 to the Hong Kong Cancer Fund for each entry received… and so will we! So more entries = more money raised for a fantastic cause. Simple!
This giveaway is now closed!
More information about breast cancer is available at www.cancer-fund.org/pink. And for free cancer support, please call the CancerLink Hotline on 3656 0800, a free service of Hong Kong Cancer Fund or visit www.cancer-fund.org/pink.