It probably hasn’t escaped you that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month… and nope we’re not trying to sell you anything or get you to part with your cash, but instead this is more a case of charity begins at home by YOU giving yourself a little time to become breast aware.
Too often we get caught up in the busy-ness of life that we forget to check ourselves. And although we know early detection saves lives… we still forget or put it on the back-burner for another day. But it’s time to get breast aware!
Although most cases of breast cancer in Hong Kong are in women over 50 (see more info here), there is an increasing trend of women being diagnosed with breast cancer at an earlier age. The youngest case reported was under 20 years old, which shows that all women should be breast aware. So make sure you examine your breasts regularly (once a month and not around the time of your period as they can get lumpy).
What you’re looking for:
- Changes in your breasts which are not normal for you; something that you haven’t seen before.
- Changes to the nipple. Such as a change in shape, crusting, a sore or an ulcer, redness or inverting of the nipple.
- Discharge from the nipple. Particularly if this is from one nipple and is bloodstained, or occurs without squeezing.
What you’re feeling for:
- A lump, lumpiness or thickening. For younger women – if this is not related to your normal monthly cycle and remains after your period. For women of all ages – if this is a new change in one breast only.
- Persistent, unusual pain. If this is not related to your normal monthly cycle, remains after your period and occurs in one breast only.
For more information on self-examination, screening and any other questions about breast cancer in Hong Kong, check out the Cancer Fund’s Pink Revolution website. Their campaign this year is all about checking – just as regularly as you would check for fruit at the supermarket! Check out the video below and remember early detection saves lives!
*SORRY! THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED!*
And make sure check out our amazing October Giveaway to be in with a chance of winning $23,000 worth of goodies. Plus, for every entry you’ll be raising funds for the Hong Kong Cancer Fund too!
Start your very own Pink Revolution!