Destination weddings don’t necessarily have to break the bank. We’ve rounded up the best locations in Asia along with hotel recommendations and more…
Once the excitement from your engagement settles and the to-do list starts to form, choosing a wedding venue and date quickly becomes a priority. Although Hong Kong boasts a handful of wedding packages, destination weddings have increased in popularity. The reason? Swoon-worthy locations, unforgettable memories, impeccable service and even sometimes, because it can be more cost-effective than a wedding in Hong Kong!
We’ve compiled a list of affordable destination wedding locations in Asia that are one quick flight away from Hong Kong, along with the best times to book, average fares to each destination and the best month to celebrate your big day. Plus, legal marriages in these places are recognised in Hong Kong by the court and the government. Get ready for days of celebrations, in a location of your choice!
Editor’s Note: Flight fares fluctuate all the time, the prices listed below are a rough estimate and prices taken from Skyscanner at the time of publication.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Phnom Penh is easily one of the friendliest capital cities in Asia. Locals welcome visitors with open arms, proudly showcasing hidden charms, the warming cuisine, the riverside promenade and beautiful Cambodian palaces. Though it has a tropical getaway feel, this Southeast Asian capital is still an up-and-coming location, so it’s surprisingly affordable — especially if you’re looking for a wedding destination near Hong Kong.
Best time to travel: Between November and May – low rainfall and warm but bear in mind it’s humid throughout the year
Average flight fare (round-trip): $3,500
Best Hotels For A Destination Wedding In Phnom Penh
- The Bale’ Phnom Penh – Luxurious yet peaceful with a grand lawn perfect for an outdoor ceremony. thebalephnompenh.com
- Bali Resort And Apartment – Relaxed setting with multiple options for weddings and great pools for an after-party! bali-resort-apt-phnompenh.h-rez.com
- Raffles Hotel Le Royal – Great location for history buffs and couples looking for a garden wedding with a lavish setting. www.rafflesphnompenh.com
- Rosewood Phnom Penh – One of the best wedding locations in Phnom Penh with overall great service. www.rosewoodhotels.com
- Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel And Residence – Grand setting, spotless and clean rooms, and location right by Tonle Sap River. sokhahotels.com.kh
What’s not to love about Bali? Known for everything from forested volcanic mountains, beaches and coral reefs to yoga and meditation retreats, it’s no doubt this is a popular destination wedding spot. Foreign couples keen to get married in Bali have to hold a religion recognised by the Indonesian government (Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or Christian Catholic/Protestant). You’ll also need to register to get certification from Kantor Catatan Sipil (Civil Registry Office).
Best time to travel: May, June and September as there are fewer tourists around this time
Average flight fare (round-trip): $4,000
Best Hotels For A Destination Wedding In Bali
- Alila Villas Uluwatu – A stunning clifftop resort with jaw-dropping ocean panoramas. www.alilahotels.com
- Amankila – For starters, it has a private black-sand beach and this hotel pays close attention to details to make your occasion perfect. www.aman.com
- Ayana Bali – Suitable for both large and more intimate weddings, with beachside and garden venues. www.ayana.com
- Sofitel Bali Nusa Dua Beach Resort – Couples can opt for outdoor setups by the beach or indoors with grand decor. sofitelbalinusadua.com
- The Westin Resort Nusa Dua Bali – Offers a collection of wedding venues, each with its own unique personality and cache! www.marriott.com
Koh Samui, Thailand
As Thailand’s second largest island, Koh Samui is a frequented spot for Hong Kongers (graduation trip memories, anyone?). Located in the Gulf of Thailand, it’s famous for coconut tree-lined beaches and lush rainforests plus luxury resorts and villas. Though Koi Samui may be slightly on the pricier side as compared to Bangkok, we highly recommend this lush tropical paradise for couples looking for a destination wedding by the beach.
Best time to travel: Between December and March, January is the coolest month
Average flight fare (round-trip): $4,500
Best Hotels For A Destination Wedding In Koh Samui
- Baan Asan – Good for intimate weddings with up to 60 guests. baanasan.com
- The Conrad Koh Samui – Wedding packages include celebrants, tropical flower decorations, stylists and makeup artists and photographers. www.hilton.com
- InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort – Tailer-made wedding packages with various locations, be it the lawn or the beach. samui.intercontinental.com
- Villa Koh Koon – Private villa up on a hillside with sweeping ocean views. www.booking.com
Jeju Island, South Korea
This remote island is a little more off the beaten track. Jeju is popular for its volcanic landscape (think cave-like tubes and massive craters), relaxing beach resorts and spas stocked full of the best Korean skincare products. The photos make it clear why it has started attracting more and more Hong Kong holiday-goers, honeymooners and wedding planners in recent years!
Best time to travel: Between November to May when the weather is the driest
Average flight fare (round-trip): $2,000
Best Hotels For A Destination Wedding On Jeju Island
- Elysian Jeju – Offers five different wedding ceremony packages. www.elysian.co.kr
- Haevichi Hotel & Resort – Cosy lawn weddings facing the sea, and infinite photo ops! www.haevichi.com
- Phoenix Jeju – Intimate ballroom with floor-to-ceiling windows bringing the outside in. phoenixhnr.co.kr
- The Seaes Hotel & Resort Jeju – Beautiful lawn wedding with a capacity of up to 700 people! seaes-eng.bo9jeong.co.kr
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Nha Trang is a combination of coastal resort and city life, with long beaches, diving opportunities and plenty of surrounding islands. If you’re keen to get a little further out of the city, the drive from Nha Trang to Cam Ranh is 30 to 50 minutes without traffic and offers even more sea-facing hotels to pick from. Cam Ranh averages more than 300 sunny days per year — so planning an outdoor ceremony is far less risky than in Hong Kong.
Best time to travel: Between February and May when the weather ranges between 26 and 27°C
Average flight fare (round-trip): $2,200
Best Hotels For A Destination Wedding In Nha Trang
- Amiana Resort Nha Trang – Specialises in tropical destination weddings, engagements or anniversaries. www.amianaresort.com
- The Anam – For beautiful and relaxed wedding ceremonies where the hotel’s wedding planner has everything taken care of. www.theanam.com
- Radisson Blu Resort Cam Ranh – Creates stunning, highly flexible spaces that are perfect for all wedding styles and sizes. www.radissonhotels.com
Editor’s Note: “Destination Weddings In Asia: Best Locations And Hotels” was originally published by Tania Shroff and was most recently updated in January 2023 by Fashila Kanakka.
Main image courtesy of Getty, image 1 courtesy of Raffles Hotel Le Royal via Facebook, image 2 courtesy of AYANA Resort BALI via Facebook, image 3 courtesy of InterContinental Koh Samui Resort via Facebook, image 4 courtesy of 해비치호텔앤드리조트 Haevichi Hotel&Resort via Facebook, image 5 courtesy of The Anam.