It is starting to become a tradition that when we have guests in town we bring them for Spicy Crab followed by a night at the Happy Valley Race track.
Our go to place for Spicy Crab is Under the Bridge Spicy Crab in Wanchai. The restaurant actually has 4 locations, which has caused confusion to us in the past, but since they are all close to each other finding where your exact reservation has become part of the fun for me.
The vibe is very casual and I have found that some locations are nicer than others (I think the Jaffe Road location is the nicest of them all). A must order is definitely the Typhoon Shelter Crab, which is covered in tons and tons of garlic and chili. You can pick your own crab and I believe it is weighed by the kilo. To give you an idea of the cost, we had 4 people last night for dinner and our crab was about $400. As you can see from the picture below, the crab is loaded with tons and tons of garlic. As there is only so much garlic one can eat we have had friends who take home the leftover garlic chips to put in their home cooked meals for some extra flavor! If you are sensitive to the level of spice in your food I suggest that you do not go above medium when ordering your crab. We tend to like spicy dishes and last night medium was just about as much as we could handle.
Besides the crab, there are so many other good dishes. I absolutely love the clams with black bean and chili sauce. They are like the equivalent of potato chips in that you can never ever eat just one.
If you do decide to go I have two suggestions:
– Bring breath mints because you are going to need them after all the garlic
– Don’t dress up too much – this is very messy eating.
1. Shop 1-2, G/F, Chinaweal Centre, 414-424 Jaffe Road, Wanchai (2834 6268)
2. Shop C, G/F, Wah Fat Mansion, 405-419 Lockhart Road, Wanchai (2893 1289)
3. Shop 6-9, G/F, 429 Lockhart Road, Wanchai (2573 7698)
4. Shop B, G/F, 401-403 Lockhart Road, Wanchai (2834 6818)