From aspirin for rashes to beer for shine, we give you 20 of our best beauty tricks.
1. For a quick fix to split ends, put your hair into a high pony tail, twist it round like you are ringing out a towel, and snip away wherever you see a stray.
2. For a quick and easy smoky eye, line your inner eyes with kohl eyeliner and smudge downwards with a cotton bud.
3. Hate waiting for your nail polish to dry? Running your nails under the cold tap for 10 seconds will fix them in a flash.
4. Mascaras have use-by dates too. To keep track of how long yours has been open, mark the date you first used it with a black felt tip.
5. For foundation that lasts all day, apply a thin layer of moisturiser first and leave 20 minutes to lock into your skin before applying foundation.
6. Mascara lost its moisture? Don’t reach for the bin just yet, adding 2-3 eye drops will have it back to its former glory in a second.
7. Strange but true, Gaviscon isn’t just for upset stomachs; it can also be used as a facemask. It contains bismuth subsalicylate, which is often found in facemasks and the mint extracts are perfect for calming and soothing skin.
8. To avoid blisters, apply a small amount of talcum powder to your feet before stepping into your heels.
9. Off to the waxing salon? An antihistamine and two panadol will raise your pain tolerance and reduce redness.
10. For hair that’s full of shine, alternate shampoo brands. Hair gets used to the ingredients in products, so it needs a shake up once in a while.
11. For a pout Angelina Jolie would be proud of, line your kiss with lipstick. Follow with a lipstick one shade darker and dab in the middle of your upper and lower lips. This will draw your eyes in, giving the illusion of a sultrier smile.
12. Looking for a gentle glow? Mix moisturiser with your foundation.
13. While it’s super tempting, tying hair up when it’s wet will cause more harm than good. Hair is at its weakest when wet – that pony will equal broken locks. If you really want it out of your way, wrap it in a silk scarf until dry.
14. To make that manicure last a little longer, apply a top coat every two days.
15. Suffering from the dreaded post wax rash? Crush an aspirin, mix with a little water and smooth over the rash. This will reduce redness and swelling in an instant.
16. When applying blusher, begin two inches from the nose to where it should begin.
17. It might sound strange, but rinsing your hair with beer will add a traffic-stopping shine. Of course, remember to rinse with water afterwards!
18. Smackers looking a bit sore? Give them a gentle rub with a toothbrush to get rid of any dry, flaky skin.
19. One of the oldest tricks around, but still one of the best: a quick squeeze of lemon juice will lighten those locks in an instant.
20. Last but not least, bid bye-bye to sponges. Not only are they extremely unhygienic and lock in germs and bugs, but they often soak up product, meaning you are wasting half your foundation before you’ve even begun. Can’t bear to use your fingers? Foundation brushes are a far better and precise solution.
Top image sourced via Shutterstock, Image #2 via Pinterest,