News flash: moustache season is almost upon us. That’s right, girls – it’s time to ring in another Movember! While some of you may not be fans of the tache/nose caterpillar/soup strainer/upper lipholstery (ok, we’ll stop there), we’re following the mantra, don’t hate, celebrate!
For those who need to get up to speed: Movember is a charity movement that encourages guys (Mo Bros) to grow moustaches, and girls (Mo Sistas) to support the guys doing so. The campaign drives men to raise awareness and funds for prostate and testicular cancer – both of which are a big deal here in HK.
Want to know how you can get involved with Hong Kong’s Mo Sistahood? Here’s how…
Make your pledge to fly the flag for men’s health official! It’s quick, painless and takes roughly two minutes: www.movember.com/hk/register/. Once you’ve signed up, rally the troops by getting your friends and colleagues registered too – it’s easy to make a team. You can check out our pages here: Emma and Charlotte!
Spread the word: prostate cancer is a big deal
Unfortunately, more and more guys are encountering prostate cancer here in Hong Kong. It’s reported as being the third most common form of cancer amongst Hong Kong men, as well as the fastest growing form of the disease in the SAR. The good thing is, if caught early, prostate cancer is well and truly curable.
Knowledge is power, so the more chatting and less ‘sweeping under the rug’ the guys in our lives do to increase awareness, the better.
Perfect excuse to get Mo’d out
This year’s campaign is fashion forward and the perfect opportunity for you to embrace your inner rocker. Think plaid shirt, graphic tees and waxed jeans – your new ‘tache would perfectly compliment an Eleven Paris Johnny Depp Moustache Vest (you can also get Biggie, Drake or Justin Bieber). Get an arm party going on by stacking bracelets and watches and should the temperature drop in Movember, wrap up warm in a boys jumper from Reclaimed Vintage, leggings and chunky boots. We’re planning our outfits already!
A chance to let your fingers do the talking
We live in a city with a passion for nail art and there’s no better way to show your support for Movember than by getting a Mo mani! Speak to your nail artist and ask about the best ways to ‘tache your nails, or if you’ve got DIY skills, check out the Sassy’s Mo Manicure tutorial.
• Sassy fave The Nail Library will be offering Mo Manis ($200), Mo Pedis ($300), and Mo Shellac treatments ($400) to registered Mo Sistas, with 50% of the price going to Movember.
• Pizza Express will supporting the campaign by offering a mo-inspired menu and mo-themed drinks for the duration of Movember, as well as donating $2 from each bill receipt.
• To toast Movember in style, Boujis will be pouring a bespoke Movember cocktail throughout the month. For each cocktail sold, a percentage will go directly to Movember Hong Kong.
• Clarisonic will offer free skin consultations for all registered Mo Bros/ Mo Sistas at their IFC counter (just show staff your registration confirmation email to redeem; valid until 30th November).
• And for the Mo Bros in your life… Gentlemen’s Tonic is offering free wet shaves for all registered Mo Bros (to be redeemed at the start or end of Movember). Additionally, to help guys keep their Mos in top form, free moustache trims are available for all registered Mo Bros throughout the month.
Another reason to party!
Movember Launch Party
Where: Boujis Hong Kong, 37 Pottinger Street, Central, Hong Kong
When: Thursday, 24 October, open to the public from 10pm
Movember Gala Party
Where: Boujis Hong Kong, 37 Pottinger Street
When: Friday, 29 November, 7.30pm onwards