Boasting four floors of local and Asian fashion, there are some incredible shops that offer clean-cut blazers, elegant tops and gorgeous dresses for both work and play… and if laser-cut neon and PVC is also your thing, you’re sure to find that here too! There are stores that are most certainly worth avoiding, so be prepared to sift through the junk to find the jewels.
So here’s our mini guide to Island Beverly – our top five stores, and a few useful tips on navigating this shopping mecca!
V Love U, Shop UG810
V Love U currently stocks a gorgeous selection of lace dresses and silk tops by the label Vaudeville & Burlesque (also found in Urban Outfitters and on ASOS!). This is a must-stop for any girl who is looking for the perfect celebration dress or cute statement piece. Prices range from about $450 (tops) to $1000 (dresses).
Showroom, Shop UG865
With lots of garments imported from Japan, I’m always drawn to Showroom because of the quality of their clothing. For summer, they are stocking some bold prints and bright colours – items that are ideal for work or play. The staff are incredible helpful and there’s always a sale! The average cost of a dress from Showroom is about $899.
Rose & Crown, Shop 125
Here you’ll find gorgeous, simple jewellery at an affordable price. If you’re looking for a pair of waterfall earrings but know that everyone will already own that pair from Accesorize you’ve been eyeing, head to Rose & Crown. I’m a huge fan of their delicate rings that are really in this season. Depending on what you are after, the less intricate jewellery costs between $199-500 but expect to pay $1000 plus for the fancier items.
This store is a little bit more “out there” than the others but the clothing is beautiful. If you are looking for something unique, whether it’s neon jewellery, high-top trainers or a jacket to change an outfit – this is the shop for you. My favourite item in there at the moment is a silk navy trench coat! Slightly more expensive than the other stores, clothes rage from $599 – $2000.
One + One, Shop 236
Handbags, handbags and more handbags! This store offers a plethora of incredible handbags at amazing prices. No matter what you are looking for, you will find it here! It’s particularly good for clutches and you may even get a discount if you tell the storeowner you live in Hong Kong! A bargain by Hong Kong standards, my recent clutch cost $199, whilst most items cost $199-300.
Sassy’s Top Tips:
- Don’t go before 2pm. Nothing is open! Perfect for night-owls, most stores are open until 11pm/midnight.
- Do be mindful that the clothes are Asian sizes. I almost cried recently when the assistant told me I was ‘at least a Large’!
- Don’t come here for shoes – most of them are cheap and nasty. Plus, asking for anything bigger than a size 36 leaves people in stunned silence.
- Do think about what you wear to shop. Most places don’t have changing rooms so it’s hard to try before you buy unless you can slip the item over what you are wearing!
- Do know your measurements in advance – if you can’t try something on, ask to borrow a tape measure (or bring your own) so you’ll at least have an idea if something will (or definitely won’t!) fit you.
Island Beverly is fantastic if you are looking for something different. Some Korean/Japanese designs are pretty out there but in Island Beverly you will find some elegant, well-cut designs that will give your outfit a special twist. Keep your mind open and give yourself at least two hours to stroll around and soak it all up – you’ll find your personal favourites in no time!
Island Beverly, 1 Great George Street (opposite Sogo), Causeway Bay, Hong Kong