Healthy, delicious and comforting…
Now that the weather is finally cooling down a little (it is November after all!), there’s nothing better than enjoying a couple of cosy nights in with some comfort food. These Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes combine two of my all time favourite ingredients, sweet potatoes and avo. Packed with veggies, you can feel good about eating these delicious stuffed potatoes, and with so little fuss involved, you can feel good about making ‘em to! A great veggie option for a quick and easy meal.
What you’ll need
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juiced
For the Guacamole topping (optional)
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ lime, juiced
- Salt and Pepper
How to make it
- To prepare your sweet potatoes, prick them all over with a fork and microwave on high for 8 – 10 minutes, or until tender, turning the potatoes once halfway through (if you’re lucky enough to have an oven you can cook them for about one hour at 200 degrees C!)
- Remove from the microwave and slice lengthways.
- Scoop out the flesh and set aside in a bowl, making sure to save the skins too.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, pepper, chili, paprika and garlic, and cook until tender, which should take about seven minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add black beans and lime juice.
- Mash the mixture with a fork to break up the beans a little, but not completely.
- Add your sweet potato flesh to the bean mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Stuff each potato skin with your mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mash your avocados with the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the stuffed skins, top with the guac and enjoy!
Be sure to check out next week’s recipe for more tasty inspiration (no matter how small your kitchen is!)
Happy Cookin’, girls!