Desk Lunch Dates
How much money do you pay for lunches during the workweek, girls? As tempting as the options may be, we’ll bet all that spending is burning a hole through your wallet! Meal prep is something we’re all trying to get handle on here at Sassy, and we’re constantly perusing packed lunch ideas in search of a little inspo.
We’re sharing five of our favourites with you that are not only extremely quick to whip up (no excuses!), but are also healthy, delicious and packed full of good-for-you flavours. Throw these ingredients together the night before and enjoy desk-side, with plenty of leftovers to chow down on later.
Read more: Where To Get A Cheap Lunch in Sheung Wan
Sesame-Ginger Soba Noodles
Recipe taken from POPSUGAR
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chili oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pack of soba noodles
- 1 bunch asparagus, ribboned
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and sliced, or 1/2 cup roasted bell peppers, drained
- 1 large handful bean sprouts
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- Whisk together the oils, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, ginger, and garlic in a large mixing bowl to create the sauce.
- Cook the soba noodles according to instructions, drain them and then rinse with cool water until the noodles are at room temperature. Drain off the excess and then add the noodles, asparagus, peppers, sprouts, spring onions, sesame seeds, and coriander to the dressing and toss to coat. If you prefer to cook your vegetables, fry in a pan with garlic and ginger before adding to the sauce!
Wild Rice Salad
Recipe taken from Jamie Oliver
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 400g mixed rice, wild and long-grain
- 150g mixed nuts
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil
- ½ a bunch of fresh mint
- 75g dried apricots
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Drain, then allow to cool.
- Roughly chop the mixed nuts, pick and roughly chop the basil and mint leaves, then roughly chop the apricots.
- Combine with the rice, season with sea salt and black pepper, then drizzle with oil. Serve with grilled meat or fish for a heartier meal!
Pasta Salad with Goat Cheese and Rocket
Recipe taken from Martha Stewart
Ingredients (serves 4):
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 350g of your favourite pasta
- 1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (or your favourite cheese)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch of rocket
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water before tossing pasta together with beans and goat cheese.
- Make dressing: In a bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and mustard and season with salt and pepper. (To store, refrigerate pasta mixture and dressing separately, up to one day.) Serve pasta mixture with dressing, arugula, and onion – delish!
Homemade Pot Noodle
Recipe taken from The Londoner
Ingredients (serves 1):
- A pot or jar with a lid
- 1 handful of dried noodles/spiralised vegetable noodles
- 1 handful of mixed asian veg
- 1 handful of left-over cooked chicken / cooked prawns / tofu
- Half handful of bean sprouts
- 1 spring onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon of your preferred hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon bouillon/stock powder
- 1 teaspoon tom yum paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Cook your noodles according to the package. When they’re done, pop them into the bottom of your pot and leave to cool.
- While the noodles cool, in small bowl mix together your miso, bouillon, soy, tom yum paste and as much hot sauce as you like. When your pots are nice and chilled, add your sauce and meat (if using).
- Pack in a handful of sliced veg and bean sprouts then top with sliced spring onion and coriander. When you’re ready to enjoy, boil the kettle and pour into your pot!
Quinoa, Roasted Veg and Goats Cheese
Recipe taken from Sheer Luxe
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 50g of rocket
- 50g of pomegranate seeds
- 50g of soft goat’s cheese
- 250g of quinoa
- 2-3 tbsp of macadamia nut oil, or any that you prefer
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Put the butternut squash and onion onto a baking tray and drizzle over 2-3 tbsp of oil. Season and toss to make sure everything is covered. Place into the oven for 25-25 minutes, until soft. (If you don’t own an oven, feel free to steam the squash and fry the onion!)
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions.
- Place the quinoa into a large bowl and stir through the rocket and cooked vegetables. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and soft goat’s cheese to finish!