Chef Arturo Melendez reveals the secret behind TokyoLima’s beloved Tuna Tartare recipe.
Even if you don’t consider yourself to be culinarily gifted, we believe that every adult should have at least one dinner party recipe up their sleeve. After all, you never know when you’ll need to impress at a moment’s notice. And food is a surefire way into the hearts of romantic partners, friends and even parents (or in-laws!). The good news is, your recipe of choice needn’t be complicated. In fact, simple and classic is key. Just like Chef Arturo Melendez’s Tuna Tartare.
Ahead, discover the recipe for one of TokyoLima’s most iconic dishes. Rest assured, it’s Hong Kong kitchen-friendly (i.e. there’s no oven required) and suitable for beginners!
Read more: Cook Like A Pro: Try This Spaghetti Recipe From 208 Duecento Otto
“Tuna Tartare is one of the first dishes that was crafted for TokyoLima’s menu. When I made the dish, my inspiration was from the classic tuna tartare dish, but with a twist from Latin touch. That’s the reason I like to add watermelon for a fresh kick, with lemon and chilli.”
“I recommend this dish for two reasons. Firstly, during the hot weather, it’s great to have a fresh and intense dish. Secondly, this is one of TokyoLima’s most iconic dishes!”
For the Soy Citrus Sauce:
330g teriyaki sauce
20g wasabi paste
20g vegetable oil
2 to 3 red Thai chillis
For the Tartare:
For the Garnish (optional):
Handful of sweet potato chips
Micro herbs (any of your preference)
- To make the sauce, place all ingredients into a blender and blend until the sauce is emulsified. If you don’t want the sauce to be too spicy, blend the red Thai chilli without the seeds. Store the sauce in the fridge for later.
- Cut the watermelon into medium-sized cubes (around 1cm) and place in the fridge.
- Cut the tuna into similar-sized cubes and place in the fridge.
- Clean the avocado and cut into small cubes (around ½ cm). Add a squeeze of lime juice to avoid oxidation.
- Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and add half of the sauce. Mix well. Split the mixture into four serving bowls or plates (up to your personal preference). Add the rest of the sauce into each of the bowls or plates.
- Top the dish with sweet potato chips (or any other type of chips) and micro herbs for garnish. You can also serve with a slice of lemon, if desired.
All images courtesy of TokyoLima.