Featuring aged cheddar, smoked back bacon, caramelised onion and chorizo jam, this recipe is indulgence at its very best.
While we in the Sassy office make a big effort to eat healthily throughout the week, when it comes to the weekend, all bets are off. This is when we crave comfort and indulgence, making this 3BM Beef Burger from Three Blind Mice quite literally the recipe of our dreams. Vegetarians, look away now. This beauty starts with a toasted brioche bun and comes complete with the foodie holy grail – cheese, bacon and chorizo. Go on, treat yo self!
Ahead, owners Ed Rolston and Matt Lamming share Three Blind Mice’s classic 3BM Beef Burger recipe. Rest assured, it’s Hong Kong-kitchen friendly (i.e. there’s no oven required) and suitable for beginners!
Sassy Tip: If you fancy dining in instead, Three Blind Mice has added Chorizo Jam as an exclusive secret menu add-on for Sassy readers!
“We’re inspired by pop-up and market stall food culture in the UK. Burgers are our guilty pleasure and, like the British food scene, we have an appreciation for good ingredients. We use grass-fed British beef and a local bakery for our brioche buns. We enjoy turning the humble Beef Burger into something that has pride and place in a restaurant! We often serve this burger at events too!”
3BM Beef Burger
For The Burger Patty (Makes 2)
300g grass-fed British beef mince (use 150g per patty)
½ onion (diced)
1 garlic clove (minced)
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of smoked paprika
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
For The Burger Sauce
Aioli or Mayonnaise (store-bought)
For The Chorizo Jam
500g chorizo (finely diced)
1 apple (finely diced)
For The Caramelised Onions
3 tbsp butter or olive oil
1 onion (sliced)
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
For The Burger
1 brioche bun
2 rashers smoked back bacon
- Start by mixing all the burger patty ingredients together to form two patties. Set aside in fridge for later.
- Now make the caramelised onions. Add butter or olive oil to the pan. Fry off onion. Add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper, and stir. Leave simmering until thick and caramelised.
- Whilst the onions are caramelising, make the Chorizo Jam. Fry off the chorizo. Add apple, sugar and water. Cook down until thick and syrupy.
- Next, make the sauce. Start with a base of two parts aioli or mayonnaise. Mix in one part ketchup, a handful of diced pickles, a splash of tabasco, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- When the caramelised onions and Chorizo Jam are ready, start preparing the burger. Butter the brioche bun and toast both sides on the grill (can be done in a pan on the hob too). Set to one side.
- Set grill (or pan) to high heat. Toss in patties and bacon rashers. Grill/cook for a couple of minutes. Look for great caramelisation on the patties. Cook bacon until crispy for some crunch factor. Remove bacon when cooked.
- When patties are done, keep on grill/in pan on a high heat and cover with cheese. Remove when melted.
- Now it’s time to assemble the burger! From the bottom up, layer one half of the brioche bun, followed by burger sauce, Chorizo Jam, one patty (with melted cheese), bacon rasher, second patty (with melted cheese), another bacon rasher, caramelised onions, burger sauce and finally the other half of the brioche bun. Enjoy!
All images courtesy of Three Blind Mice.