October is a notoriously busy month in Hong Kong, with events galore and numerous occasions to celebrate (just check our monthly cultural roundup, For Your Diary, here). Whether you’re getting your ghoul on for Halloween or enjoying some beers and bratwurst for Oktoberfest, there’s plenty happening to keep you entertained! However, for this month’s What Sassy Wants I’ve decided to theme it to reflect just one occasion… Breast Cancer Awareness month. Think pink this month and make those pretty purchases in one of our favourite colours to raise awareness for this worthy cause.
- What do we want after a long day at work? A glass of our favourite tipple to help us unwind of course! And Winnery88 has just the thing to get you all relaxed as you sit on your balcony and enjoy that evening breeze. Their ROSE Apostrophe by Domaine des Terres Promises is a fresh, light rosé that is sure to help you relax after a long day…
- You all know how much we genuinely love Kate Spade here at Sassy – the quirky designs are always so different and put a smile on our face every time. This month we’re deviating away from the usual novelty bags and clutches that we love and choosing something simple but still very sassy. The ‘Eat Cake for Breakfast’ line journal will give your desk a pop of pink this October and of course we couldn’t agree with the quote more! Keep it old school and jot down notes in this pretty notebook instead of your tablet to give your meetings a little style…
- The cooler climes of autumn are very welcome in HK after our hot and humid summer, but the constantly unpredictable temperature can wreck havoc on our skin. Luckily good old Crabtree & Evelyn have got a cute little trio of pink-themed hand-creams to keep our palms silky smooth. And the best part? For every Pink Hand Therapy Set purchased, Crabtree & Evelyn will donate $10 for education, support, research and advocacy purposes for Breast Cancer Awareness.
- Support Breast Cancer Awareness month by treating yourself to a brand new bra… we’re all about looking after our lovely lady lumps (find out more about checking your breast here)! Head over to Calvin Klein, the underwear pros, to purchase some comfortable, high-quality underwear in (you guessed it…) pink! The whole of October, if you purchase the designated pink bra and bikini items at Calvin Klein, 5% of the proceeds will go towards to the CancerFund Pink Revolution (more info here).
Available in Hong Kong Calvin Klein stores here.
- Perfect that pout with the make-up experts at M.A.C Cosmetics! I’m a massive fan of their bold lipsticks, so I couldn’t help but make another sneaky purchase for autumn. One of their latest colours, ‘Good Kisser’ is sure to lift your spirits with its bright, fuchsia colour – it’s the perfect happy shade of pink. Use it to brighten up a dull outfit and transition from day to night with ease…
Available in all M.A.C Cosmetics stores in Hong Kong here.
- One of our favourite juice companies, Genie Juicery, is supporting the cause by decking out their eco-friendly juice bottles with pink-topped lids! We love these healthy and refreshing juices, especially the fruity and delicious ‘Beaches’ juice, which blends pineapple, strawberry, mint and acai… and it also happens to be pink too! From 13-21 October, Genie Juicery will donate $1 for every juice with a pink-lid bought.
- If you’re keen to spice up your love life and pamper yourself this month, then you’ve got to try out Cowshed’s ‘Horny Cow Seductive Body Lotion’! Apart from the hilarious name, this lotion also smells divine, using rose, patchouli and cinnamon. The unique scent teamed with the Shea and Cocoa Butters make this silky soft lotion perfect for moisturising.
Available for $340 (300ml bottle) exclusively at the Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong Spa; 6.F, Four Seasons Hotel Hong kong, 8 Finance Street, Central, Hong Kong, 3196 8888, www.fourseasons.com/hongkong.
- A Boy Named Sue is known for it’s gorgeous selection of eco-friendly designers, and that’s why we were delighted to see their new autumn collection come in. Not only are you sound in the knowledge that you’re buying ethical fashion (this jumper is made from cruelty-free yarn that is harvested humanely), but the designs are always easy to wear, chic and made with high-quality fabrics. This dusky pink SVILU jumper made from a gorgeously soft angora wool blend looks so comfy… we just want to snuggle up in it!
Image sourced via Pinterest
Hi, I’m Lauren and I was born and raised right here in Hong Kong. That being said, with a blonde-haired, blue-eyed mum from England and a Chinese-Australian father, I would definitely say that I grew up as a third culture kid! I love every part of this city and all its many contrasts; from the green of the country parks (and the scary monkeys…) to the shimmery lights of the skyline – it never gets old. I’ve always loved to travel and living here is such a privilege as we’re so close to so many incredible countries and different cultures. I’ve always got a bad case of wanderlust and I’m constantly on the look out for an adventure… here’s to my new adventure at Sassy!
Impossible to choose only a few things, but I’ve done my best! I love the energy of the city and how there is always something to do. Public transport is a dream – I love taking the tram and hearing the little ‘ding ding’, sailing across the harbour on the $2 Star Ferry and ‘dooting’ my Octopus on the super efficient MTR. I love going hiking in the hills five minutes from my flat, always being close to the sea, summer junk trips with friends, dim sum Sundays with the family and a couple of cocktails never go amiss (or a couple of free ‘champagnes’ on the Carnegies bar).