The start of a New Year is the perfect time to think of ways that you can make constructive changes and improve the way you live your life… after all, that’s what resolutions are for! Apart from the typical “get fit”, “drink less”, “save money” resolutions, I’m also determined to use more organic products and try to be more environmentally responsible – we all have to do our part for the earth however small! That’s why in this month’s What Sassy Wants I’ve chosen some products that will make me feel good inside and out, and that are good for the environment too. From organic beauty products to sustainable threads, we’re starting the New Year off right!
1. I fell in love when I discovered this new beauty haven late last year (and just in time for Christmas too!). Gourmet Skin Bar is the perfect place to go for all-organic beauty products and I’m addicted to the Hurraw Chai Spice Lip Balm that comes in their Gourmet Skin box sets. However, I’m currently lusting after this super cool perfume from Aromantik. The ‘Cabinet of Curiosities‘ scent caught my attention, with notes of soft amber and musk, but all of Aromantik perfumes sound heavenly. It also helps that each perfume has an intriguing name and uses unique ingredients that are 100% natural, vegan, gluten-free and cruelty-free… what more could you want?!
Available here for $690.
2. So we all know that everyone is going to be extra healthy this month, trying to detox all the festive chocolate, mince pies and mulled wine out of our systems. My trouble has been thinking of a quick and easy healthy breakfast to have in the morning at work, so I’m really wanting a couple of bags of Anything But Salads’ ‘Life Rawnola’. This sell-out product is full of nutritious goodness and contains an organic, low-temperature (45°C) dehydrated raw sprouted medley of buckwheat groats, almonds and pumpkin seeds that’s sweetened with coconut nectar and dried cranberries. Not only will it have you feeling good (buckwheat is a great source of protein and fibre) but it also tastes delicious!
Available here for $149 per bag or at: Anything But Salads, Shop B, G/F, 14 Tai Ping Shan Street, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong, 6743 5000
3. One of our favourite candle shops is The Candle Company on Lyndhurst Terrace, and I think a nice way to create a relaxed, calming environment at home is to have some really nice candles lighting up a room. This WWF Soy Wax Tin Candle is super cute with the WWF panda on the lid, and it’s made from natural renewable resources and is bio-degradable. The Fig flavour smells divine, but you can also get this candle in Gardenia, Red Tea and Verbena Bamboo scents.
Available here for $60 or at The Candle Company, 11 Lyndhurst Terrace, Central, Hong Kong, 2545 0099
4. Last summer I had a pair of white Portovelo shoes which I wore to death! Easy to slip on, comfortable and fun, these shoes are a must have for any Hong Kong Sassy girl. I’m liking the nautical ‘Pacific Blue‘ pair which would look sweet with a spring dress and a pop of red lipstick… ideal for an afternoon walking down Stanley promenade or strolling through Cat Street looking at vintage knick knacks! The best part is that proceeds from every purchase go towards an organisation nominated by the Portovelo team that’s dedicated to improving the lives of people around the world.
Available here for $360.
5. I’m constantly dropping my phone and I’m quite surprised that it hasn’t shattered into a million pieces yet (especially after New Year’s Eve…). To make sure that I don’t permanently damage it, I’m on the look out for a new phone case. When I spotted this Reveal one, I new the sustainable cork that it’s made out of would be a good cushion for any falls! Not only do I love the simple, cool design, but it’s amazing how with each purchase Reveal will plant one tree in partnership with the non-profit, American Forests.
Available here for $232.67.
6. One of my favourite jewellery brands is Emi&Eve, and after buying the Leafbud Ring last year, I’m now coveting this Sunrise bag in Navy. It’s the perfect size for a clutch and would add a touch of glam to an outfit… ideal for hitting up Wyndham street bars on a Thursday evening for afterwork drinks (it is Ladies Night!). Not only is the heart shaped brass design on the front beautiful, but it’s also been forged from bomb shell remnants by Cambodian craftsmen! Truly incredible.
Available here for $850.
7. Eco-chic is the way forward, and if you’re looking for some home-ware that’s elegant AND environmentally friendly, then TREE should be the first stop on your shopping hunt. This HK store provides gorgeous, sustainable furnishings for your home and I would love a couple of these cute cushions to brighten up my sofa. The geometric designs bring a modern vibe and the purple is oh-so Sassy!
Available for $695 at the TREE flagship store in Horizon Plaza; 28/F, Horizon Plaza, Ap Lei Chau, 2870 1582.
8. It’s sale season, so if you’re looking to bag some bargains that will last you the whole year then don’t forget to check out the offerings from A Boy Named Sue. This online eco-boutique sells beautifully crafted clothing that’s ethically sourced from sustainable designers across the world, and this bright blue Malin Fisherman sweater is top of my list! The cable knit and honeycomb pattern looks so cosy and the extra fine lambswool would be warm an soft… and it’s 30% off – score!
Available here for $1,125.